Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Eggplant, basil and feta rolls

Eggplant and feta rolls


I have had a strange relationship with eggplant throughout my life. When I was a young child, I loved eggplant. I couldn't get enough of it. Then one day I stopped liking it. I despised it, I hated the soft texture, the taste, the way it sometimes stings the tongue. And then, suddenly, when I got past my teens, I liked it again.

Eggplant and feta rolls


Maybe one day my love/hate eggplant relationship will switch again, but right now I'm in an I Love Eggplant phase. I prepared these eggplant, basil and feta rolls the other week and served them with salad. Not only was it a very satisfying dinner, but it was also a dinner chock full of vegies. I roasted the rolls with some home made tomato sauce, but you could also serve the rolls without sauce as nibbles.

Eggplant and feta rolls


To make them, thinly slice the eggplants lengthways. Brush lightly with oil, then put under a grill for 5 minutes or so until they soften and brown a little. Flip the eggplant slices over, brush with oil and put under the grill again. Let the eggplant cool slightly. Place a basil leaf and a spoon full of feta on the edge of each eggplant slice. Roll up the eggplant and secure – I tied them up with chives but you could just use toothpicks. You can eat them at this stage or you can roast them with sauce.

Note – if you are going to put some sauce on top and roast in the oven, leave out the basil when rolling up the eggplant and instead scatter on top once it's served.


Related Posts with Thumbnails