Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Celeriac soup

Celeriac soup


Brrr! It's been cold this week. Perfect weather for soup and sitting on the couch with the heater on.

I don't think I've ever had celeriac before this winter. It's so unattractive with it's brown knobbly surface that I never felt tempted to pick it up. Appearances can be deceiving though, and I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

Celeriac is a kind of celery that's grown for the taproot rather than for the stem and leaves. It has a mild flavour with a cross between celery and parsnip. The first time we ate it, we had it alongside mashed potato, and I kept it separate in case we didn't like it. Fortunately, that wasn't the case, and the following week I picked up a large one (over a kilo!). What to do with such a big lump of celeriac? Soup!!

Celeriac soup


I softened some onion, garlic and diced bacon (probably didn't need the bacon) in a pot, then added the diced celeriac and enough vegetable stock to cover. It all simmered until the celeriac was soft, and then I used my stick blender to puree it. After that, I seasoned it with salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and stirred through some grated parmesan (probably didn't need the cheese).

Here it is served up with a dash of extra virgin olive oil, and some diced celery leaves. My soup was very thick, so I found it quite filling. It was perfect for a meal on the couch!


Related Posts with Thumbnails