Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cookbook Challenge: Week 14, Japanese

Recipe: Japanese Mushroom Noodles
From: Lighten Up


Japanese mushroom noodles


A very quick post for the Cookbook Challenge this week. I have a lot to do tonight because Alastair and I are off to Sydney tomorrow evening for a long weekend. His cousin is sailing in a regatta, so we are going up to watch him (hopefully) win!

The theme for this week's Cookbook Challenge is "Japanese" and I needed something that was quick, easy and preferably healthy. I chose to make Japanese mushroom noodles from Lighten Up, which fit all those requirements.

I wanted to use different mushrooms, such as enoki and oyster, but there are no Asian grocery stores near my work, and I didn't have time to go anywhere else to get any. So I only had Portobello mushrooms in my noodles but I added a can of baby corn so it wasn't too boring.

This meal was really simple to put together - perfect for a busy weeknight. And now, I better get off the internet and get stuff done! Back next week!

See previous Cookbook Challenge posts here.

Update: See what everyone else made at the round up on My Food Trail.

Japanese mushroom noodles


Japanese mushroom noodles

From: Lighten Up

Serves 4


4 dried shitake mushrooms
250g dried udon noodles
200g fresh Japanese mushrooms eg enoki, oyster (I only had Portobello mushrooms)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh ginger
sea salt and pepper
1 tablespoon miso paste
1 tablespoon mirin
2 tablespoons soy sauce
chives to finish

Soak the dried shitake in a cup of boiling water for at least 30 minutes. Drain, reserving the water. Remove the stalks and discard. Slice the caps finely.

Cook the udon noodles in salted water for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.

Trim the fresh mushrooms and slice them thickly.

Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the ginger and the fresh and dried mushrooms. Cook on a medium-low heat for a few minutes, or until soft.

Stir in the reserved water from the mushroom, apart from three tablespoons. Season with salt and pepper and let it simmer for a few minutes.

Put the miso paste in a small bowl and whisk in the three tablespoons of hot reserved mushroom water. Add this, and the mirin and soy to the mushrooms.

Toss with the drained noodles and serve scattered with chives.


Related Posts with Thumbnails