Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What I've been eating

It's time for another "What I've been eating" post!

Grand Asia
Target Centre Arcade
236 Bourke Street, Melbourne


Curry beef noodle soup ($7.80)

Curry beef noodles


The curry beef noodle soup was hearty, thick and tangy. It was perhaps a touch too sour.

Curry beef noodles


The meat was a tad fatty although tender, and the noodles were thick hokkien noodles (my favourite!).

Haninese chicken rice ($7.50)

Haninese chicken rice


I had been eyeing up the Haninese chicken rice during the prior lunch, so I made a trip back. It was served in a cute little boat shaped dish. Here you can see the chilli sauce and the ginger and garlic sauce.

Haninese chicken rice


The rice was okay. There was a bit of flavour, but also a touch too much msg, judging by the thirst I had afterwards.

Haninese chicken rice


Normally the soup that you get given is similar to flavoured chicken stock. Surprisingly, the soup was very good! As you can see, it even had bok choy in it.

Haninese chicken rice


Here's a shot of the chicken. The chicken was moist and tender and drenched in soy.

Chicken and chips ($5.00)

Chicken and chips


I felt very lazy one evening, and rather than cooking we headed down to the local chicken shop. Mhmmm charcoal chicken and chips. Normally, the chicken is very, very moist and full of flavour, but mine was a bit dry this time. Ahh well, it's good every other time, so I must've been unlucky.

Cafe Bland

Schnitzel foccacia


Our favourite cafe was closed this Sunday, so we went to another. We used to visit Cafe Bland, but stopped when they had a change of management. Recently they had another change of management, so we thought we'd give them a chance. I was feeling a tad seedy and ordered a schnitzel foccacia. It was SO bland - someone needs to learn how to use salt! I could not believe the total lack of flavour in the schitzel. Also, the foccacia had been toasted, and the lettuce inside had become limp and unappetising. The cucumber had also cooked and tasted awful.

Wedges


I ordered wedges, as I didn't realise the foccacia came with chips. There was no mention of chips on the menu, and the waiter didn't mention it when I ordered the wedges. Grrrr. Oh well, at least the wedges tasted of something! It's hard to screw up wedges (thank goodness).

Noodle Kingdom
175 Russell St, Melbourne 3000
Phone: (03) 9654 2828


Lanzhou beef noodle soup ($7.50)

Lanzhou noodles


I was wandering down Russell Street recently, when I noticed a man in the window of Noodle Kingdom making noodles. It was so exciting! I went back a couple of days later and tried their Lanzhou beef noodle soup.

Noodles


The noodles were fresh and chewy, and the soup was fragrant and chock full of coriander. There was a lot more beef than I was expecting too. After I had finished all the noodles I kept finding slices of beef in the bottom of my bowl!

And finally, a few things I've been cooking.

Udon noodles

Udon noodles


It seems like I've been eating a lot of noodles recently. I had some chicken stock in the freezer, and dug that out to make a noodle soup. I threw in some fresh enoki, oyster and shitake mushrooms, as well as some silken tofu.

Udon noodles


A bowl full of goodness!

Vegie pattie roll

DSC_160120080112


For dinner one evening I threw together some vegie patties, and popped them in a toasted roll with a yogurt and cucumber sauce.

Soba noodles with enoki and oyster mushrooms

Soba noodles with enoki and oyster mushrooms


And finally, I had some mushrooms left over from the udon noodle soup night. I sauted them with some garlic and onions, then tossed them through soba noodles with mirin and soy sauce. It turned out rather brown (although I do quite like the photo), but it tasted good.


Related Posts with Thumbnails