Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Friday, August 22, 2008

Dai Duong

On the Sunday of my Bro's birthday weekend, we went to yum cha. He woke up feeling a bit nauseous (hung over), but when I suggested that we reschedule yum cha, he bravely said that he would eat through the pain.

What a trooper!

When it comes to yum cha, we used to go to Golf Leaf in Sunshine. One day, on a whim, we tried Dai Duong because it was closer to home. Not only is it closer, but the restaurant is huge, so there's no problem getting a table. Food comes out incredibly quickly, particularly if you get there early, and within five minutes of sitting down, our table is normally full of dim sum.

These photos aren't actually from our last visit, but we usually eat the same things whenever we have yum cha anyway.

Dai Duong yum cha


Chicken feet/fung jiao is my Bro's favourite. We always get two, one basket for him, and one for everyone else.

Dai Duong yum cha


The prawn dumplings/har gow are pretty good.

Dai Duong yum cha


Pork dumplings/sui mai – steamed dumplings with a pork filling in a wonton skin. Actually, I don't know why I always get these. I don't like them that much, and I could use the stomach space for other things!

Dai Duong yum cha


Probably my favourite (apart from the egg tarts) - lou mai gai/chicken and sticky rice wrapped in a lotus leaf.

Dai Duong yum cha


Deep fried goodness! These taro dumplings / wu gok have a wrapper made from mashed taro, and a savoury filling (pork and other assorted ingredients) inside. I really enjoy the crispy, flakey outside.

Dai Duong yum cha


Another one of my Bro's favourites - deep fried crescent dumplins / ham sui gok. These have a similar filling to the taro dumplings, but the wrapper is made with glutinous rice.

Dai Duong yum cha


Shrimp rice noodle rolls/cheong fun. I'm surprised to see that we got the shrimp ones for a change. I think they didn't have the beef (which I prefer).

Dai Duong yum cha


Dessert tofu / dou fu fa - the tofu is pretty silky, but I thought that the sugar syrup could use a little more sweetness and ginger.

Dai Duong yum cha


And finally, yum cha isn't over until I've had an egg tart. It doesn't matter how full I am, I can always fit at least one in!

The prices are fairly standard and range from $4.20 - $6.20 for a standard to a deluxe dish.

Dai Duong Restaurant
Shop 5/ 64 Hopkins St
Footscray
Phone: (03) 9689 9899


Related Posts with Thumbnails