Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Cafe Plum

Cafe Plum


Every few weekends, you'll often hear a conversation in my house that goes something like this:

"Should we go to a café for brunch?"

"Okay! Where should we go?"

"Let's go to our favourite."

"Our favourite....?"

"You know! Our favourite café!!"

"Ummm..."

"OUR FAVOURITE! Plum!"

"Plum! Oh, that's my favourite! Let's go there!"

Plum is our current café of choice, and yet the Boys never know what I'm talking about. Sigh. It can be hard being the smart one in the house (haha).

Located across the road from the Royal Melbourne Children's Hospital, Café Plum is small, but it's cookin'. While I do enjoy a good poached egg on toast, when I go out for brunch I generally feel like something a bit different. There's only so much eggs and toast that you can stomach before you get bored.

That's one of the great things about Plum. The menu has more interesting things than just bacon and eggs and there's always a couple of specials up on the board. A couple of specials that I've seen (and eaten): Ricotta hotcakes with smoked salmon and horse radish crème fraîche, Cuban fried eggs with fried banana and chorizo, and Mozzarella in Carrozza (fried mozzarella sandwich). For sweet brunches, there's items like pancakes with banana and French toast with a touch of orange blossom syrup. (I can't recall the sweet brunches as well because I prefer the savoury ones!)

The regular menu has a couple of interesting items beyond the usual big breakfast, such as marsala potatoes with sausage and spinach, and soy scrambled eggs with chinese sausage.

If the cafe isn't too busy, often the chef/owner will come out and have a chat. From the conversations we've had with him, it's obvious that he is someone who is passionate about food, and loves to see others enjoy his cooking. That's a quality that I adore, and it's just another reason that I love his café.

Cafe Plum
193 Flemington Rd, North Melbourne 3051
Ph: (03) 9329 8867


Related Posts with Thumbnails