Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Polenta and Sumac Drumsticks with Creamy Coleslaw

Drumsticks


The night I made this, I had crispy drumsticks in mind, coated with cornflakes or weetbix. Unfortunately when I got home, I realised that we didn't have any cereal in the pantry, so I improvised instead. The Boys loved them, but then they always love it when I cook meat!

I had half a cabbage sitting in my vegetable drawer so I decided to serve the chicken with coleslaw. I started adding stuff together to make a dressing for the 'slaw - thankfully the "bit of this, bit of that" approach worked and I didn't have a disaster. After tasting the dressing, I wanted to eat it just by itself - it was creamy, and a bit tangy with a touch of sweetness and nuttiness.

For the Drumsticks

2 cloves of garlic
3/4 cup yogurt
3/4 cup polenta
3 teaspoons sumac
1 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of milk
8 chicken drumsticks

Preheat your oven to 200 degree C.

Crush the garlic & salt in a mortar and pestle. Mix into the yogurt, then add a dash of milk to thin.

Mix together the polenta, sumac, chilli powder and cayenne pepper in a bowl.

Pat dry the drumsticks with a paper towel.

Dip each drumstick into the yogurt, letting the excess drip off, then dip into the polenta mixture.

Place on an oiled baking tray then bake for 40 minutes or until cooked.

Creamy Coleslaw

For the dressing:

1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon tahini
1 teaspoon sumac
salt and pepper

Coleslaw:

Cabbage
Carrots
Capsicum
Red onion

Melt the honey, then mix in all the other ingredients. Finely slice your vegetables and toss together with the dressing.


Related Posts with Thumbnails