Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

International Pizza Pie Incident Party

International Pizza Pie Incident Party


Vanilla cupcakes with lemon buttercream & fondant pizza slices


It's time for another global food party – last time we made gnocchi and this time we're doing pizza pie!

Pizza PIE
Waka, waka, waka


Now I know that pizza pie can refer to just a regular pizza, but I really wanted to do a PIZZA PIE. So I have two offerings to bring to the party.

Pizza PIE


The first, is a pizza in a pie form - pies with a pizza filling! I made a savoury shortcrust for the bottom pastry, which was then placed into pie tins and blind baked. Then I filled the pie shells with pureed tomatoes, salami, olives, mushrooms and mozzarella. Then it was topped with a lid of (store bought) puff pastry and baked to pizza pie perfection. Despite my lack of pie making experience (and trust me, it showed when I just tried to whack the puff pastry lid on top without wetting it, thinking it would stick by itself) these were still very good. My shortcrust pastry was buttery and soft, and the filling tasted just like pizza. A definite pizza pie success.

Pizza PIE


My second pizza pie is a pie in pizza form! I cooked up a pot of meat pie filling by browning some diced beef in seasoned flour, and then stewing it with a couple of diced carrots, onions and celery and chicken stock. I made pizza bases from no-knead pizza dough, spread on pureed tomatoes, and then added a thin layer of meat pie filling. Shredded mozzarella went on top of that, and then a piece of puff pastry. Again, it was baked to pizza pie perfection - I LOVED this version, most likely because the pie filling was savoury and moreish.

Vanilla cupcakes with lemon buttercream & fondant pizza slices


I did also do regular pizza, but unfortunately Bro ate the ones I was going to photograph (nice one, Bro!). And you may also be wondering about the cupcakes? Well, it's Penny's birthday and it can't be a party without cake. So Penny received vanilla cupcakes with lemon buttercream and pizza slice fondant toppers. Happy birthday!

A big thanks to Dany for coming over and critiquing my pizza pie creations. Huge thanks also to Alastair for doing the mountain of dishes I generated! I hope you enjoyed my offerings to the party – visit the other attendees to see what they prepared:

Addictive and Consuming
Sense & Serendipity
Christine’s Recipes
Eat, Live, Travel, Write
Tasty Trix
Hold the Beef
Enriching your kid
Five Star Foodie
Kitchen Butterfly
Second Helping
Berry Travels
Cafe Campana
Momofuku for 2
Fried Wontons for You
A Food Lover’s Journey
Sweet Cherrie Pie
Tangled Noodle


Related Posts with Thumbnails