Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cookbook Challenge: Week 34, Soup

Recipe: Spicy tomato soup with chorizo
From: Soups


This week's Cookbook Challenge theme is "soup". Last winter I made a lot of soup - pretty much every Sunday for a couple of months - see the Soup Sunday posts. This winter, I've barely cooked any soup, most likely because I'm busy cooking up the various themes for the Cookbook Challenge. So I'm glad that soup is one of the themes - it's like revisiting an old friend!

Spicy tomato soup with chorizo


Yesterday (when I made this soup), I spent a lot of time cooking for next week's theme - Spanish. Rather a lot, actually - you'll see what I mean next week! I didn't have much time left over to do a complicated soup, so I pulled out the Soups cookbook and flicked through it. I decided on this soup because I had left over chorizo (from my Spanish dishes) and because it looked pretty straight forward.

Well, I say it was straight forward, but the recipe has a weird way of cooking the chorizo - they are simmered in water until all the water evaporates and then they are fried in the fat that is left over. Honestly, if I was to do it again, I would just fry the chorizo in a pan and then throw it into a pot with the rest of the ingredients. Seriously, why go to all that kerfuffle? It's soup! And a rather good soup too, if you like tomato based soups, and you like it spicy. Plus if you need some warming up, it'll certainly help as it has a decent heat to it.

Stay tuned for a mammoth Cookbook Challenge post for the Spanish theme next week. We ate... boy did we eat! And see previous Cookbook Challenge posts here.

Spicy tomato soup with chorizo


Spicy tomato soup with chorizo


From Soups


500g chorizo sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 onions, halved and sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1-2 small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1.5 litres chicken stock
800g tinned chopped tomatoes

Fill a large frying pan with about 3cm of cold water. Add the chorizo sausages and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and let the water reduce, turning the sausages occasionally, until all the water evaporates. Allow the sausages to cook in any fat left in the pan for several minutes, or until they are lightly browned. Allow to cool and cut into bite sized pieces.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft. Stir in the cumin and paprika, chilli, chicken stock, and tomato. Bring to the boil and add the chorizo. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Check the seasoning - adding salt and pepper to taste - and serve.


Related Posts with Thumbnails