Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cookbook Challenge: Week 3, Hor d'oeuvres

Recipe: Coconut Prawns
From Australian Women's Weekly - Food We Love


Coconut prawns


The weeks are going past so quickly - we're on to Week 3 of the Cookbook Challenge already! For this week's theme, hor d'oeuvres, I made coconut prawns.

There is a little blurb about this recipe in the cookbook that says, "My friends are always impressed with these prawns, and the best part is that they're easy and fast to prepare." Now, I don't know what crazy world the author of that blurb comes from, but I don't consider a recipe where you have to peel and devein a kilo of prawns "fast to prepare"! The rest was easy though, so I will give them that.

Whenever I peel prawns, I like to leave the tails on. I think it looks nicer, plus I like to eat the tails - they're like a crunchy prawn chip!

Coconut prawns


The prawns smelt so good when I took them out of the oven. And they were delicious! The prawns were lovely with the fragrant toasted coconut, and a hint of coriander and chilli. If I was served these at a party, I would be very happy indeed.

The book suggested serving them with sweet chilli sauce, but since I am not a sweet chilli sauce fan, we ate them with homemade chilli sauce that had some added chopped coriander. Alastair, Bro and I scoffed these so quickly once the photos were taken. It was definitely worth peeling all those prawns!

See previous Cookbook Challenge posts here.

Update: See My Food Trail for a round up of posts for this week.

Coconut prawns


Coconut prawns

Adapted from Australian Women's Weekly - Food We Love

24 uncooked medium prawns (1 kg)
1/4 cup (35g) plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 & 1/2 cups (115g) shredded coconut
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
1 small chilli, finely chopped
24 short bamboo skewers
Chilli sauce to serve

Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly oil two oven trays or line with baking paper.

Mix together the shredded coconut, coriander and chilli in a bowl. In separate bowls, place the seasoned flour and beaten egg.

Shell and devein prawns (leave the tails on if you like). Coat the prawns in flour, shaking away the excess, then dip into the egg and then finally the coconut mixture.

Thread one prawn on to each skewer. Place in a single layer on to the baking trays. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the prawns are cooked.

Serve with your desired chilli sauce.


Related Posts with Thumbnails