Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Pikelets

Pikelets


I should learn by now that I shouldn't cook late at night. Whenever I do, I make mistakes because I'm tired. Like the time I started a caramel slice at 9:30pm on a work night and turned the grill on instead of the oven. I didn't realise until after I had "baked" the base of the slice and had poured on the caramel. It took me a while before I figured out why the caramel was bubbling so much in the oven!

Still, pikelets are hard to screw up. Even though I made them late in the evening they turned out okay. However, the shapes were all over the place and not as round as I would've liked. Apparently if you drop the batter from the tip of the tablespoon, the pikelets will come out round. I'll have to remember it for next time!

From Donna Hay Modern Classics 2.

Combine 2 cups plain flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 cup caster (superfine) sugar in a bowl. Combine 2 eggs, 1 12/ cups milk and 70g melted butter in another bowl, then whist into the flour mixture.

Cook 1 tablespoon of the mixture over low heat in a frying pan greased with butter for 1-2 minutes. Turn and cook for another minute or until golden.

Serve the pikelets warm with lemon and sugar or cool with jam and whipped cream. Makes 40 (apparently).


Related Posts with Thumbnails