Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Little orange poppyseed cakes

Little orange poppy seed cakes


I had a free health check at work today. There was good news and bad news. The bad news is that my height was 3cm less than I thought it was. Some might think that's not really bad news, but when you're not very tall, every centimetre counts!

The good news is that, along with my glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol being normal, I was also a couple of kilos lighter than I thought I would be. I've been eating a lot of cake recently, so this was a surprise.

I actually think that I may have been under measured and under weighed, but I can't decide which outcome I'd prefer – to be taller but heavier, or shorter but lighter. Hmmmm.

Little orange poppy seed cakes


The other week I felt like cake. Did I mention I've been eating a lot of cake recently? I went and bought a slice of poppyseed cake and felt very under whelmed as it seemed to have a nasty, chemically sweetness. It inspired me to do better! A google search unearthed a diabetic recipe for orange poppy seed cake (or so the website said). I made a few adaptations to the recipe, and rather than a big cake I baked several little ones.

My little cakes were strangely compelling. They weren't too sweet, nor too orangey, and the texture wasn't particularly cakey. In fact, they reminded me of scones. And they were SO moreish – I found myself eating a couple at a time because one wasn't enough!

Little orange poppy seed cakes



Little orange poppy seed cakes


Makes 12 regular sized muffins

Adapted from Fitness and Freebies


½ cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, softened
3 eggs
¾ cup unsweetened yoghurt
Zest from one orange
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 cups cake flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 180° C.

In a large bowl, beat sugar and margarine until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs, yoghurt, orange juice and orange zest until smooth.

Mix in the cake flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined.

Grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Pour batter into the moulds and bake for about 15 minutes, or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.


Related Posts with Thumbnails