Moved

This blog has moved to offthespork.com. Thanks!

Friday, May 30, 2008

Simply Spanish

It's Friday, and I'm home today! This is not a fun at home day, this is more I'm home because there's tradies on my roof and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NOISE? Are they fixing the roof or whacking pigeons with a baseball bat? It sounds like the roof is going to cave in. Hopefully a spot of food blogging will take my mind off it...

I think I may have mentioned this previously, but South Melbourne Market is my favourite place to go for fruit and veg. It started operating in 1867, and went through a refurbishment and upgrade over the past couple of years. As part of the upgrade, new food stalls opened up on the Cecil Street frontage.

We popped into one of those newish ones, Simply Spanish, for brunch a few weeks back. The brunch menu had all the usual favourites, but with a little twist. For example, bacon and eggs came with a caramelised onion and tomato relish, scrambled eggs were served with sliced chorizo and eggs benedict had a saffron lime hollandaise.

Unfortunately we arrived too early for paella - a massive pan had just started cooking when we were seated. The smells kept wafting our way as we had our brunch, making me wish we had shown up just a little bit later!

Simply Spanish


Instead of paella, I had the Gypsy Eggs - soft poached eggs rolled in a Middle Eastern dukkah served with wilted spinach on grilled sourdough and a romesco spread ($15.50).

Simply Spanish


The eggs were perfectly poached - check out that oozy goodness! The sprinkled dukkah helped lift the eggs and complemented the capsciumish tasting spread on the toast.

Simply Spanish


Both of the boys had the Spanish claypot eggs with smoked chorizo ($16.50). This was a poached egg in a tomato and herb salsa, served in a claypot with toasted sour dough. This looked rich and full of flavour, although I noticed that the salsa seemed quite watery.

Simply Spanish


Unfortunately the coffee was a little lacking - I found it too sour to drink, much less enjoy! But the food was fine, and I'm sure that we will visit again. Perhaps next time we'll time it right and try the paella!


Simply Spanish
116 Cecil Street,
South Melbourne 3205
Phone: 03 9682 6100


Related Posts with Thumbnails